Danish Royal Porcelain 1775-2000 - 225 Years of Design
International Breakthrough - The Nordic Exhibition of
Industry, Agriculture and Art in Copenhagen, 1888
1868, The Royal Copenhagen Porcelain Manufactory was sold by
the state to the merchant G.A. Falck, who turned it into a
profitable business. He sold the manufactory in 1882 to
the engineer Philip Schou, who was the proficient leader of
the earthenware manufactory Aluminia in Frederiksberg. The
porcelain manufactory moved to this location in 1884.
Schou was one of most important industrialists of his age.
He took the initiative for The Nordic Exhibition of Industry,
Agriculture and Art, which were held in Copenhagen in 1888,
where the porcelain manufactory displayed with great success
under the artistic leadership of Arnold Krog.
Schou was also one of the leading figures behind the
establishment of The Danish Museum of Decorative Art in 1890.
& Grondahl's porcelain manufactory, which had participated
with growing confidence in the major exhibitions of the age,
was owned by Harald Bing. The painter Pietro Krohn was
its artistic leader from 1885. Like Arnold Krog,
he was interested in Japanese art and the potential of
underglazing. It was with items in this new style that
both manufactories attracted the attention of other countries
in subsequent years.
Exposition in Paris 1900
Krog - Artistic Director 1885 - 1916] [The International
Breakthrough - The Nordic Exhibition of Industry, Agriculture
and Art, 1888]